“Grumble grumble grumble”
Uh oh… You’re hungry and didn’t bring a healthy snack! All you see around you are chips, cookies, candy, crackers, soda… And even if you do make it through the afternoon, you know you’re going be tempted by the instant gratification of fast food joints you’ll pass on the ride home.
We set ourselves up for these moments of temptation by:
- Skipping breakfast or filling up on low quality carbs (ie, sugary cereals)
- Not making time for lunch
- Not eating enough protein in the morning and lunch
- Not drinking enough water
- Not planning ahead
What a Food Emergency?
[w]hen your blood sugar starts to drop, you are hard-wired to eat anything (and everything) in sight. To think you can use willpower to control your hunger or cravings contradicts the science of how your brain controls your behavior. The more willpower you use, the more it backfires, eventually. You find yourself automatically overeating and bingeing or just eating whatever happens to be in front of you.
- Dr. Mark Hyman
Avoid these potential #foodfails!
I want to help you pack your food emergency preparedness kit! At the start of each week, grab a bunch of Ziplock bags or small containers and prep a bunch of healthy, satisfying snack packs to grab on the go. They will keep you from craving foods that don’t make you feel good and have little nutritional value.
Some craving-fighting snacks to include in your kit are:
- Jerky, homemade or store-bought (Paleo), preferably turkey, salmon, bison or grass-fed beef
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Whole food or raw food snack bars like Larabars (look for higher protein, watch the sugar content and consider them as a “dessert” snack)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Canned tuna (low mercury) or salmon
- Nut or seed crackers
- Couple dried figs and dates
- Roasted red peppers
- Apple slices with nut butter
- Hummus with veggie sticks
- Roasted chickpeas
Protein with Love ❤️
Remember it’s important to make protein your main ingredient in each snack pack because it helps control your appetite by balancing your blood sugar over a longer period of time.<
Whether you’re at the office, out shopping, driving in your car, there will be temptation so having these handy emergency snack kits in your purse or glove compartment will help you stay on track with your nutrition goals!
Here’s a quick video on how I make Healthy Snacking Easy
If you liked this article or have any questions, I’d love to here from you!